Thursday, November 24, 2011

SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY 2011

Like many Americans, I'm not feeling too chummy toward big business right now.  As a result I was thrilled to hear about Small Business Saturday.  The idea is to fuel the economy by patronizing local, small businesses on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Given my choice I'd much rather line the pockets of an individual with half  a dozen employees than help provide some CEO with a $2 million bonus.

We'll be helping the economy in Milford, Ohio today when we attend the small town's Christmas walk and hit all the little shops on the main street.  Below are some of my other favorite Ohio-area small businesses:

Amethyst Book Store, Symmes Township, Ohio:  Wonderful little store full of New Age-y goodness like crystals, incense, jewelry, and meditation tapes.  The Professor is particularly fond of the Happy Hotei he got during Camp Gonnawanna a couple years ago.   They also offer psychic readings, if that's your sort of thing.  (It used to be mine, but now I've decided I don't want to know what lies in my future.  I'm afraid to ask.)  They are located at 11914 Montgomery Rd.  Although their MySpace page seems to be outdated, you can see some shots of the interior here.




Aglamesis Bros. Ice Cream and Candy, Cincinnati and Montgomery, Ohio:  A local favorite, especially in my family, they have what I consider Cincinnati's best ice cream, as well as incredible candy.  I'm partial to the Oakley location, which still has an old fashioned soda fountain charm to it.  There is also a Montgomery location.  More information can be found on their website here.




Roving Acres Farm, Pierpont, Ohio:  Yes, people I'm sure are sick of me rambling on about how wonderful their yarn is, but the fact is it's fabulous.  It's one of those small, family-owned farms that I wish were more plentiful.  They're wonderful to work with and produce gorgeous, high quality yarn.  You can check out their website here and their Etsy shop here.











Young's Dairy, Yellow Springs, Ohio:  While I stand by my conviction that Aglamesis is Cincinnati's best ice cream, this small dairy about 65 miles northeast of downtown could give them a run for the money.  Rich, delicious ice cream in a wonderful country location, complete with goats to be fed and cows you can personally thank for the milk.  They also have a restaurant and miniature golf course and Young's was the location for this past fall's Wool Gathering.  Check out their website here.






American Strength Karate, Loveland, Ohio:  If you're looking for a great place to learn karate in the Cincinnati area, you should definitely try American Strength Karate in Loveland.  Shihan Reuben James has been involved with karate for over 30 years.  He's an excellent teacher, patient with his students but accepting nothing less than each person's best.  He's also an incredibly nice man.  The Professor earned his blue belt earlier this year.  More information can be found at his website here.



The Professor's hamburger cake from 2010.
Servatii Pastry Shop & Deli, Cincinnati, Ohio:  With 13 locations, it's one of the larger of my favorite small businesses.  We've been buying our birthday cakes from Servatti's since I was about six years old and for my money they can't be beat.  They have a wide selection of cakes, pastries, and bread, all equally delicious.  And they can create just about any kind of cake you can imagine.  They've done some custom cakes for me with beautiful results.  Check out their website here.






NudgeryFaire on Etsy:  In the interests of full disclosure I will say that this is my sister's Etsy shop, but The Inmates' Uncle Chester also happens to produce really cool, unique merchandise.  In fact, she spent Thanksgiving making me a custom spiral bracelet with beads and purse charms.  She has frequent sales, including one for Black Friday (15% off with code:  NDGBF11), so check her out here.




What are some of your favorite small businesses or small Internet shops?  Please share in the comments.  And please shop small businesses this Saturday!



















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hit most of my favorites, although there are some small quilt and antique shops I like.
Mom

Nancy Susanna Breen said...

I was impressed with your review, then saw my Etsy shop at the end. Awww. Thanks for the plug!

Anonymous said...

Love the concept of Small Business Saturday. I try to shop local as much as possible, and to have a whole day devoted to it will help raise awareness. :) Thanks for sharing.