Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I HEART ROVING ACRES YARN

Back in September I wrote about the scarf I made for my mother from yarn she picked out at the Wool Gathering in Yellow Springs, Ohio.  It was a gorgeous variegated yarn from Roving Acres, a family farm in Ohio, and I feared not having enough to finish the scarf so I bought two skeins.  The scarf only took one and I left it up to my mother to decide what she'd like me to make with the other.

She chose a cowl, but most of the patterns I saw took too much yarn.  Turns out she made her own cowl from fabric last year, just a simple piece of material sewn together to make a circle.  I used her cloth cowl for the measurements and then tweaked a scarf pattern from Bernat (found here).  I used smaller needles than called for and added stitches to increase the width.  I then knitted until...well...until I ran out of yarn.  The edges were sewn together to form a circle.  It's smaller than most cowls out there, but just the right size for my mother's needs.  The finished product is 8-1/2" wide and 29" long doubled (or 58" total).  (Complete notes can be found on my Ravelry page here.)




Now, a word about that yarn.  I'm in LOVE with it.  I fondled many skeins at the Roving Acres booth at the Wool Gathering before my mother chose these particular colors.  The yarn is a worsted weight alpaca/merino wool and it's just delicious!  It's warm and wooly, but not scratchy at all.  And the hand-dyeing is just gorgeous.  After making two projects with their yarn I just couldn't take it anymore and had to get some for myself for a hat/scarf project.  Beth at Roving Acres was wonderful to work with and dyed for me the exact color of variegated yarn I wanted.  (They also have an Etsy shop here.)  I wanted shades of gray, from very light up to charcoal, and it came out beautiful.  I'm busily clicking away on the hat.  Hopefully I'll have the finished product to show in a week or two (before the first snow flies, preferably).

It's so nice to get back to working on an adult project after many weeks of creating Christmas stockings.  It's like that giddy feeling that a mother gets when she can finally pick up a novel of her choice after 5,298 readings of Goodnight, Moon.  Priceless...


You might also be interested in:

SO MAD I COULD KNIT



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love these scarves. I'm very sensitive to itchy things, but these are so smooth and yet warm. The cowl scarf is nice for this milder weather and the long scarf will be perfect for winter.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I can only admire from afar. The knitting and crocheting fairies did not leave me any talent. I like those colors.

OneMommy said...

Your knitting is beautiful! I am not that talented...
Your last line about Goodnight Moon made me laugh - I am soooo there!