Thursday, September 15, 2011

THE TOP FIVE BEST AGATHA CHRISTIE MYSTERIES EVER!

It was on this day in 1890 that Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, to which you might say "big fat deal".  Well, Ms. Miller married Archibald Christie in 1914 and with her new name went on to be the best-selling novelist of all time.  Not too shabby.

Having been an avid reader of Ms. Christie's works since the 7th grade, I thought it only fitting to give you what I consider to be her five best mysteries.  With over 80 books to her credit, narrowing my list down to Christie's best five is, for me, like trying to choose my favorite Beatles song.  Just when I say one is my favorite, a different song pops into my head.  For someone new to Dame Agatha, however, this list will give you a good taste of her varying styles, detectives, and settings.  Enjoy!

  1. Murder on the Orient Express - A classic story with the classic detective, Hercule Poirot.  With the whole story taking place within the confines of a train, Christie manages to weave a complex tale that leaves one guessing until the end (unless you've unfortunately already watched one of the numerous t.v. and film versions).
  2. And Then There Were None - While it has none of the well-known detectives of Christie's other works, this is a gripping story with a jaw-dropping conclusion.
  3. The Murder at the Vicarage - Christie's other classic detective, Miss Marple, in her very first appearance.  While the mystery itself is good, what is particularly appealing is the look inside the world of this spinster sleuth and her small English village.
  4. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Another Hercule Poirot mystery and seemingly just another village murder.  Seemingly...
  5. The ABC Murders - When a murderer appears to be systematically working his way through the alphabet, Poirot has his work cut out for him. 

As soon as I compiled this list I thought, "What about A Murder is Announced?"  I started to make a change to my list when I thought of Curtain, Poirot's last mystery and one that's not to be missed.  (Actually, I would suggest tackling a handful of his other mysteries first; it's a better read when you have a feel for the man.)  Then The 4:50 from Paddington entered my head.  And what about The Seven Dials Mystery, such a departure from her later works?  And we can't forget Cards on the Table, which inspired me to learn to play bridge...



You  might also be interested in:

Spending the Summer With Nancy Drew

Give Peace a Chance?  - Paul McCartney at Great American Ballpark

7 comments:

Kathie said...

I know I've only read a couple of her books, and it's been so long ago I don't remember them. I'll have to check them out on my Nook. Maybe I can get them from the library. Hopefully they're in epub format.

Unknown said...

I have only read a few! I have seen a number of movies based on her books.

CMcKane said...

Now I want to go through my bookshelf I know I have And Then There Were None. It was such a great movie too!

Anonymous said...

Since I don't care for mysteries, I've avoided these books but maybe it's time for me to give them a try.
Mom

Darlene's Quilts and Stuff said...

I haven't read any of her books. I don't know anyone who has. I am a true detective story reader. Ann Rule is the best at writing these.

Anonymous said...

I love Agatha Christie!!! Great list!

arvee marie said...

Hi! Shannon! ♥ I'm a big fan of mysteries especially Nancy Drew. ♥ I've been meaning to buy an Agatha Christie book since I already finished school and can't borrow books anymore. I've always been intrigued with her. Sad to say, I haven't read any of her books. Not yet.;)