Wednesday, May 16, 2012

YARN ALONG -- MOTHER'S DAY SHAWL AND CHEMO CAPS

Wednesdays over at the Small Things blog is Yarn Along day, where knitters and crocheters share what bit of needle goodness they're working on and what they're reading. Time for this week's installment.


I've been involved with quite a bit of super secret knitting lately which can finally be revealed.  In addition to my Easter knitting, this week I finally presented my mom with the Mother's Day shawl that had been under construction during the spring.  The pattern is Henslowe by Beth Kling (available for purchase on Ravelry here).  Since I wanted it bigger, so it could really drape over the shoulders, I went with a size 9 circular needle.  This special project called for my favorite yarn from Roving Acres.  I used their merino/wool sock yarn, custom-dyed in robin's egg blue.  I wanted something light and lacy for spring/summer, but with enough warmth to actually be functional.  I'm pleased with how it came out.  (I first saw the pattern on the Woolythyme blog.  Thanks, Steph!)

 

Now that I can knit under my mother's nose again, I've moved on to a charity project.  One of the three charities chosen for Debbie Macomber's Knit 1 Bless 1 project this year is Halos of Hope.  Halos of Hope provides chemo caps to in-need cancer patients, both adults and children.  I'm currently working on child-sized caps using Deborah Norville's Everyday Soft Worsted in "Nursery".  This is a very soft acrylic yarn, so it's suitable for the purpose, but once these skeins are gone I'll probably look into some nice, soft cotton for future caps.  For the kids I'm using the Hug Cap from Debbie Macomber's A Charity Guide for Knitters book.  Free patterns for other styles are also available on her site here.

On the subject of my bookish pursuits, last week I finished up The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry.  I really enjoy Fry's work in general and this was his typical style.  It is not, however, a book suitable for those easily offended as events in the book, as well as dialogue by the characters, can be quite graphic.  I've now moved on to Eighteen Acres by Nicolle Wallace.  The title is in reference to the eighteen acres on which the White House sits and the book revolves around three female characters, one being the first female president.  Having been a huge fan of The West Wing and the type of person who salivates when there's a new Supreme Court confirmation to watch, this book is right up my alley.  A little on the soap opera-ish side so far, but still an enjoyable read.

So, what are you reading this week?


YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:

Easter Bunnies and Flying Pigs

Knitting:  What's S.E.X. Got to Do With It?





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the most beautiful shawl ever. The color and feel of the wool is just perfect.
Mom

Lori said...

The shawl you made for your mom is gorgeous! Ugh, making me cry in the afternoon with the chemo caps. You are a good good egg my dear. Oh and I loved WW and house too! ;-)

Evelyn said...

Look how happy your mother looks showing off her new beautiful shawl! Thanks for the book suggestions and sharing your charity knitting.

steph said...

Oh, Shannon, your Henslowe is absolutely gorgeous. I love the larger size (much more practical IMHO than the one I made!!) I know your mom is over the moon happy with it!!!! (Dance recital weekend coming up---we're venturing your way again.....hope you have good weather for us!)

Marcy said...

That shawl is absolutely beautiful! And I admire how you can use your passion to help others.