Wednesday, February 8, 2012

FOOD STAMP CHALLENGE 2012 - THE FINAL NUMBERS

The 2012 Food Stamp Challenge has come to an end and we didn't quite make our goal of spending less than $400 on groceries.  In fact, we didn't quite make it by a long shot.  We did, however, shave about a third off our average 2011 food bill, which means we succeeded in funding our Grayson County Humane Society "Angel" donations for the year.  In addition, we saved another $20 or so beyond that, which I'm rounding up to a $25 donation to Recycled Doggies.


Our former Recycled Doggie, St. Jimmi, got reprimanded by the vet at her 6-month visit last year for having gained a whopping 17 pounds since  moving in with us.  I have been diligently taking her for walks most days and trying to limit her food intake.  Unfortunately, Jimmi is a confirmed food thief and edibles are not safe from her unless behind lock and key.  We've been giving it our best, though, and I thought I noticed a little slimmer physique on my pooch.  Today she had her one-year visit and...drum roll, please...she gained two pounds.  I was given advice by the vet on how to keep her from pilfering from the pantry, swiping from people's plates, and stealing the other dog's food. I was told to bring her in for a weight check in a  month.  If she doesn't lose at least three pounds, it's diet dog food for her.  I think the mere thought is already starting to affect her.  She tried, with vigorous determination, to get onto the kitchen table to steal the remains of a fresh-baked loaf of bread.  If past exploits are any indication, I'm going to have to watch out for this dog's ingenuity in the face of hunger pangs.





YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:

HOW DO I LOVE THEE?

ST. JIMMI'S BREAD MACHINE RAISIN BREAD








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's good news that you are able to make the contributions you planned. As for Jimmi, she fits right in with the rest of the family.
Mom